Although it is recognised that metal working fluids play a critical role in optimising machining processes…there is a tendency amongst some component manufacturers to treat fluid management as a ‘poor cousin’ in comparison to work-holding, tooling etc.
Even the most enlightened manufacturing companies fall someway short of having robust and systematic fluid management protocols and processes in place.
This situation will change…and is changing. The emphasis on creating safer working environments for staff…on ensuring easier component traceability…and on using real time data to monitor, capture, record…and, as a consequence, improve manufacturing processes (as enshrined in Industry 4.0 principles), are elevating the importance of metal working fluid management.
Getting back to basics
Basic fluid management involves a number of interrelated issues:
• maintaining sump volumes to the recommended concentration (the amount of oil content in the water miscible solution);
• maintaining a fluid’s correct pH value;
• maintaining a fluid’s optimal working temperature;
• maintaining a fluid’s conductivity (salt content)
• removing unwanted tramp oil or foreign matter.
This might sound simple enough, but in practice requires significant time and resources to be spent in order to ensure H & S compliancy and to achieve a fail safe process.
This is where Oracle™ can…and does play a vital role.